Popular Experienced Michigan Wedding DJ
|DJs Bands Songs
|MIKE'S HOME PAGE||ABOUT MIKE||FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS||ENTERTAINERS||INFO ON THIS SITE|
30 Years of DJ Experience
Mike is Well-Known, Respected and Experienced. Being a Mobile DJ is Mike's main job, how he makes his living, and he's very good at it.
Mike uses TWO Laptops with Professional DJ MP3 Mixers and a Dual CD Player. That means…
No pauses between songs, no dead air, no down time. If a laptop should ever have a problem, he keeps on playing! You get an extra laptop and dual cd player hooked up and ready at all times as instant music playing back-up. You hire a DJ for music and Mike makes triple sure you will have it.
Based in the center of Metro Detroit (City of Southfield), his Music Entertainment DJ Service is available for the greater Metro Detroit area including Oakland County, Macomb County, Wayne County, Ann Arbor area, Downriver, all southeast Michigan, plus other areas in the lower peninsula.
Mike is a Professional Mobile Michigan Disc Jockey and member of…
National Association of Mobile Entertainers N.A.M.E.
Detroit Music Awards Foundation DMAF
WeDJ.com plus several other disc jockey, wedding, music and civic minded organizations.
note: Mike was formerly known as Madman Mike Your Musical Slave, up to December, 2012.
Madman simply means going above and beyond what is expected of your DJ, doing more for free.
More unsolicited comments can be found on Wedding Wire and Project Wedding.
You can also ask others about Mike in The Knot Message Boards and The Knot Metro Detroit Forum
Mike does not advertise in those sites, but many brides who hired him were registered there.
Weddings Are About the Bride & Groom – not the DJ
Mike appropriately refers to himself only as Michael or Mike in order to show respect for the importance of your lifetime moment and to give respect to your family, friends and guests in attendance. Music Slavin Mike – Your Musical Slave is the catchy name of his business and is used primarily for his Music and Entertainment Information Service and for public events, not mentioned nor advertised at weddings.
And because weddings are about the bride & groom, they can tell Mike what to play and what not to play. Hear music you like and avoid what you don't want.
Mike Is A Serious Wedding DJ
In his own words... "I understand the significance of getting married and sharing this moment with family and friends and know that your wedding will have emotions and memories that last a lifetime. That is why I take weddings very seriously and with a reputation for doing things right the first time. Since DJs can't practice being the DJ for your wedding ahead of time, it helps to have lots of experience in order to smoothly do what you want done at your wedding."
AND He created a website to let you know about as many wedding services in Michigan as possible, all types including other Wedding DJs. Only Mike does this. No DJ, wedding service, or anyone else gives you this information. More listings than The Knot, it's free, no logins! Info of Photographers, Photo Booths, Cakes, Officiants, Dance Bands, Cocktails Dinner Ceremony Musicians, Bridal Shows, Event Planners and much more. click → Michigan Wedding Slavin The Website
AND To Help During Michigan's Economic Downturn, Mike Lowered His Prices!
Usually just $750 Total for a Wedding Reception on Friday or Saturday in the Metro Detroit area, $500 on Sundays. To see prices & deposits, click here. Total includes no per-hour charges, any amount of time, dancing lights and back-up DJ equipment, Mike's DJ Assistant is included, Mike's DJ attire is black tux unless requested otherwise. Due to cost of gas, other areas in Michigan might have an extra charge. How does Mike compare to DJs that charge more? click compare
From elegant sophisticated tuxedo receptions to a celebration in the back forty, he is a versatile disc jockey who can present himself and the music of your choice exactly the way you prefer. You know what you want and it's Mike's job to make it happen.
Mike is middle-aged, has been the DJ for hundreds of weddings – not a kid still learning.
Mike always shows respect, decency and common courtesy. He is never vulgar.
In 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, was listed as one of the top Detroit Area Wedding DJs at WDIV TV "4 The Best" List. In 2011, he was added to the inaugural Detroit A-List of Best Services.
How far in advance do you need to book Mike? Honest answer is in → Mike's Booking PolicyDemo Video
Want to watch/observe Mike on-the-job? → read this
Never Booked a DJ? Need honest info? read Mike's in-depth → How To Choose and Hire a DJ
If Mike is not available for your wedding, would you like him to recommend a DJ? click here
He does not receive kick-backs, commissions nor referral fees from his recommendations.
Mike is on Facebook. click → Music Slavin Mike Your Musical Slave Facebook Page
• Mike books only ONE event per day, which means that you get peace of mind.
no potential "over-bookings" or "double-bookings" and YOU stay #1 for that day.
• Unlike many DJ services, Mike does NOT invite strangers (observers) to your reception.
• Mike is your DJ, not a surprise trainee or subcontracted fill-in.
• Flat Rates (prices) with no hidden costs, no per hour charges, no time limit.
Lights and most everything DJ related is already included in his rates.
• Wireless hand-held microphone is automatically included, no extra charge.
• DJ Equipment is set up before guests arrive. automatically included, no extra charge.
• He brings an assistant with him to help coordinate and act as back-up DJ, no charge.
• He uses Traktor Pro 2 Digital DJ Mixer on main laptop to play MP3s.
back-up laptop uses the PCDJ FX VRM digital dj player.
• Brings his own On-The-Job Wi-Fi access to AmazonMP3 and iTunes (most locations).
He can download special requests at the same he is playing other songs!
That means at most venues, On-The-Job Wi-Fi access to over 20 Million Songs!
With his wi-fi access, nobody can offer more music selections than Mike.
• Back-up CDs and anti-skip cd players are also at your event.
• Back-up equipment including amp, mixer, microphone and more is at your reception.
• Mike owns and uses professional DJ Equipment, which is shown lower on this page.
• Music Volume: your choice. (usually "easy to talk over" low to start, higher for dancing).
• Reception music: your choice. It's your day – listen and dance to the music you like.
• Mike already owns about 60,000 Legal Music Selections, and more are added every week.
• If Mike doesn't have songs that you want, he will get them at no charge to you.
• Mike coordinates with photographers videographers so important moments are captured.
to see Michigan Photographers Video services Mike has worked with, click here
• DJ Entertainment Style: your choice. Sophisticated to interactive: see styles below
• If needed, Mike can MC your reception: he is good at announcements and introductions.
• DJ Attire: your choice. Mike wears a black tux unless something else is requested.
• Created his own reception information worksheet so important details aren't missed.
• Mike has DJ Liability insurance, a necessity just to work at some banquet facilities.
• Mike has experience at many halls and banquet centers: see list on separate page
• Mike does not advertise: no signs, no flyers, no business cards on tables, etc.
• If needed, Mike can help you organize the formalities, special moments, recognitions, etc.
• Mike is available for meetings before receptions to go over details.
• Mike owns and uses dependable DJ transportation, shown lower on this page.
• He keeps the reception focused on the bride & groom, not himself.
• Simple "no fine print" contracts. No surprise costs.
• Good when dealing with people. DJs need to be nice before and during receptions.
• Mike never bothers the guests.
Keep in mind that Mike's DJ Music Entertainment system is not simply a laptop with two small self-powered speakers that some DJs use. That limited set-up is used by amateurs. Mike owns and uses a Full Professional DJ System plus he brings additional back-up DJ equipment with him.
Mike's Professional DJ System (also known as commercial equipment) includes an Asus laptop with Intel i5 (second generation i5) and using Traktor Pro 2 digital dj mixing software. Plus a back-up Gateway Intel Duo processor laptop with PCDJ FX VRM digital dj player. Also Numark and American DJ anti-skip CD players, Numark 200 FX MKII mixing board, Shure 58 wireless microphone, Sprint 3G/4G Portable Wi-Fi, Crown amps and Peavey speakers, Behringer Eurolive B215D powered speakers for smaller areas. Lights are multi-colored rotating atmosphere type which means older guests won't be hit in the eyes from power strobes or extremely bright lights. For more details about Mike's DJ equipment, click here
Below is Mike's full size DJ Van: clean, no advertising, no markings.
You Can Tell Mike How To DJ Your Wedding!
When hiring a DJ for the first time, most people are not aware that they can tell their DJ how to present themselves and their music entertainment. Therefore, Mike explains the three basic styles and a way to express them to any Wedding DJ you might hire.
• Pleasant and Nice. The "Normal Wedding DJ" style.
Smile, do introductions and announcements, occasionally say nice things. Talking is done in a positive "today is your special day" type voice. Don't be boring, everything done in good taste, nothing cheesy. This style offers the most flexibility during a reception. Your DJ will be able to play more song requests from the bride & groom, wedding party, plus family and guests.
You could also call Pleasant and Nice the most preferred and "Play It Safe" style - having your DJ be likeable and lessening the chance your DJ would appear obnoxious or offend people.
• Strictly Sophisticated. The "Low Profile" mostly just play music style.
Basically, no talking on the microphone except for planned introductions (if any) or required announcements (if any). If intro or announcements are required, it is done in a clear, monotone respectful voice. This style allows for strict time-lines and pre-formatted music programs.
• Interactive Party Style. The "Bar Dance Club" high energy style.
Dance music is the highest priority and designed to keep people on the dance floor. This usually means loud music, bright lights, and very few – if any – song requests from the bride & groom, family, wedding party and important guests get played. DJ actively motivates people for dancing & celebrating. MC voice is done in a very upbeat "this is the greatest day of your life, so everybody party!" type voice.
Sports Stadium style introductions for the Grand Entrance? Mike can do them but only when specifically instructed to do so by the bride & groom. Unless told otherwise, he does entrance introductions in a normal, clear voice.
Variety Dance Music from today's top tunes to way back. Harlem Shake, Gagnum Style, Cupid Shuffle and Wobble to In The Mood by Glenn Miller. Pitbull, Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Beyoncé, Kid Rock, Flo Rida, Elvis, The Temptations, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Rascal Flatts, Journey, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, …
Take a look at Mike's → Popular Dance Songs + Popular Slow Songs
NOTE: PrimeCuts MP3s are 320kbps, highest quality. "PrimeCuts and all TM Studios music & video services only available to radio stations, mobile/club DJs, and other ASCAP/BMI compliant public performance venues."
And he gets Legal MP3's from AmazonMP3, iTunes, and Rhapsody. Over 19 Million available songs.
Mike can suggest songs for a Father Daughter Dance. click → Father-Daughter Dance Songs
If desired, Mike has standards such as Michael Bublé, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat "King" Cole, Louis Armstrong, Tony Bennett, Neil Diamond, James Taylor, etc.
If desired, Mike has jazz music for cocktails/dinner. Larry Norzero, Dave Matthews, Rick Braun, The Rippingtons, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, Joe Henderson, Diana Krall, etc.
If desired, Mike has classical music for cocktails/dinner but strongly recommends against it. Unlike using headphones or Live musicians who keep their sound at an even level, when DJs play classical through a P.A. system there is an extreme high-low effect. When DJs set the sound level so the loud parts don't get too loud, the lows usually get so low that you can't hear it which then creates a lot of "dead air" moments even though the music is playing.
If desired, Mike also has Polkas: Big Daddy Lackowski, Misty Blues, Frank Yankovic, etc.
Most Requested Ceremony Music in Mike's collection
Wedding March / Bridal Chorus (Here Comes The Bride – Wagner, instrumental)
Wedding March / Recessional (end of ceremony – Mendelssohn, instrumental)
Canon In D (Pachelbel)
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (Bach)
These Wedding DJ Prices Apply To the METRO DETROIT AREA.
Other areas in the lower peninsula may cost more depending on travel distance, cost of gas.
Serving Our Country $50 Military Discount
Mike's way of saying Thank You for serving. If you are a current service member or a veteran, you can add this additional discount making a fri/sat total discount of $275. This applies to those getting married and also to those who are paying Mike to DJ a family member's wedding.
discount is good for weddings every day of the week.
Reasons for or more* (potential additional costs)
• Additional Gas Charge if not in Metro Detroit Tri–County. With gas way over $3 a gallon, using Mike's full size van (required to transport his DJ equipment) to drive to and from some areas in the lower peninsula could cost a lot of money. Gas charge would depend on distance to and from your event – starting from the City of Southfield which is located in the center of Metro Detroit, and the anticipated price of gas on day of your reception.
• Outdoors: in case of rain, having Mike supply his own shelter to cover his electrical DJ equipment costs more because of the need to hire an assistant who is physically able to help put up - then - take down a portable shelter.
• Carrying DJ Equipment Up/Down flight(s) of stairs with NO Elevator would cost much more because of additional cost to hire another dependable roadie to lift Mike's heavy professional equipment before reception starts AND at end of reception.
• Loading Docks that are wall-only with no ramps/elevators (example: Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center) would cost more because additional roadies or special loading equipment is required.
• Supplying a P.A. for 400+ guests would cost more because extra P.A. equipment would be required and perhaps another vehicle to transport it.
• Special Lighting costs more - (normal dancing lights are already included, no charge).
• Expensive Novelties cost extra - non-reusable purchased for just your event.
• Simultaneously supplying two full sets of DJ equipment (same event, two different areas at the same time) will cost double because additional vehicle, DJ and DJ set-up would be required.
On a Related Note...
Security Check Points – Sometimes there is a line, takes a while to get through. But there is no extra charge for additional time for verification or to have my vehicle x-rayed.
When taking DJ Prices into consideration, very favorably.
Some of Mike's colleagues believe you should spend a minimum of $1,000 for a Wedding DJ. Read this from the American Disc Jockey Association (ADJA) - Michigan Chapter: "Consider that if you are paying less than $1,000 for your Disc Jockey, you are taking a chance on a Disc Jockey who is most likely not a truly skilled professional and may very well sell your reception to an even less qualified Disc Jockey that you will meet for the very first time at your reception or special event."
National Association of Mobile Entertainers is an association of verified professional entertainers, including DJs. ADJA is a self promoting in-house referrals dj association. Info supplied by them is strictly limited to their sales pitch. That's why Mike belongs to N.A.M.E. and not the ADJA.How does Mike compare to ADJA DJs in Michigan and other local higher priced DJs?
1. Mike hooks up TWO Laptops with Professional DJ MP3 Mixers plus a Dual CD Player, all ready at the same time, making triple sure you will have your favorite music instantly available at all times. In this comparison, Mike compares very favorably to - or is actually better prepared than - many higher priced DJs who take a chance using just a laptop to play your music.
2. To help during current economic downturn, Mike lowered his rate from $975 to $750 Total within Metro Detroit (a temporary $225 friday/saturday discount!). The Michigan ADJA still says you should pay at least $1,000 and up. So do many other Michigan DJ Services. Mike is different - he knows this is a difficult time, wants to help, so he lowered his rates. see details
2a. Mike gives a flat rate (one price), any amount of time, everything included. No per-hour charges, no hidden costs, no charge for pre-wedding meetings or unexpected extra time at a reception. No guessing what your final price will be. A very favorable comparison.
3. Being a Michigan DJ is how Mike makes his living which is not true for most DJs. Ask the ADJA-MI and Mike Staff Productions if each of their DJs make most of their money from being a DJ or get their primary source of income from other jobs in a different line of work. When being a DJ is your main job, you have incentive to do a better job than most. Give this Mike the edge.
4. Mike is your on-the-job DJ for weddings. When you book Mike, you get Mike. That means he doesn't sell bookings - which is just another way of saying subcontract them or farm them out to underlings or others. Example... when you book Mike Staff Productions, you most likely will get assigned to one of his 30+ DJs. Unless you personally know Mike Staff or are willing to pay an additional premium, it's highly unlikely you could get Mike Staff himself as your DJ.
5. Mike has more wedding experience than most disc jockeys including Mike Staff DJs and ADJA-MI DJs. Plus he owns his own DJ equipment, transportation, and large growing music library. He can meet before your wedding, and provides you with more "no hidden information" on this website than they do on theirs. Again, a big edge goes to this Mike.
6. Mike has his own Portable Wi-Fi access! A good thing since most venues don't allow their internet access to DJs. Having personal access to over 15 Million Songs at most locations he can download songs of special requests on-the-job during a reception. If there is a song he doesn't already own, he can get it right then and there! Only a few DJs can bring their own personal wi-fi internet access to download legal MP3's on-the-job, and Mike is one of them.
7. If you need a dance instructor or dancers, or massive club style bright lighting, or a production crew, or karaoke service with external monitor and extra microphones in addition to a complete Professional DJ Service at your reception, then higher priced services or Entertainment Companies are the only choices available to you. Higher priced wins this comparison, and deservedly so.
The higher priced DJs are usually very good and Mike compares favorably to them. And in todays economy, Mike's temporary discount on Friday & Saturday comes in handy.
If you want to pay Mike the same as some higher priced DJs, he will accept it. But if you appreciate a good deal, stay with his posted prices and enjoy your savings.
Now you know why Mike is the only one who has earned being known as "Your Musical Slave"
Observers – Watching Mike On-The-Job
You cannot watch Mike at another person's private wedding. Watch him only at public events.
MIKE DOES NOT BRING OBSERVERS TO WEDDINGS. Mike does not invite strangers (DJ observers) to weddings because he considers it improper to have uninvited strangers attending other people's private affairs. Example: would you be willing to have all uninvited strangers who want to observe Mike attend your private wedding? Of course not. People who hire Mike expect him to work for them, respect them and their privacy – not use their private moments as public auditions.
He firmly believes that your wedding is private. Only the people you invite should be there. It's just that simple. He's sure that you would expect that same consideration from any DJ you might hire.
But some DJ services do allow strangers, usually called "observers" or "watchers" – people you don't know, the DJs don't know, were not invited by you, but invited by the DJs to watch them work at private events. By bringing observers, they are using your private wedding as a public audition.
If you are comparing DJ services and want to include those that do allow observers and watchers, Mike has important legal advice for you → click here. After learning how to protect yourself regarding observers, click your Back button to return to this page.
If you want to see Mike on-the-job, it will have to be at a public allowed event. To find out if he will be working an event where the public is invited, keep an eye on → Mike's Public Schedule
MIKE'S BOOKING POLICY
How Far In Advance Do You Need To Book Mike?
It is impossible to say. Since there is only one of me and I only book one event per day, availability is basically hit or miss. Let me explain.
Someone might have just booked your event date while you were reading this. Or it might be available right up to your wedding day. That means there is no simple answer this question. Therefore...
Mike's Booking Policy
It is "The First Person To Supply A Deposit, Books Him" policy. Mike does not use the marketing gimmick of saying that you better book now because many people are looking at your date. Even when true, it sounds like a tacky high pressure sales pitch. Mike is an easy-going guy, no sales pitches, will not pressure anyone to sign a contract.
Take a quick peek at his up-to-date posted schedule. If your date is not listed, take your time and compare DJ Services. If including Mike in those you are seriously considering, first use the Check Availability box on schedule page or top of this page to receive a personal e-mail reply.
If you decide to hire Mike, check his schedule page again and if he is still available then simply reply to his personal e-mail or call him and state that you have the deposit ready and want to book him.
Where in Michigan has Mike already been the DJ for weddings and special events?
Below is a sample of cities and areas. To see a list of venues → click here
|ABOUT MIKE||BANDS MUSICIANS IN MI||MUSIC EVENTS IN MI||FATHER DAUGHTER SONGS||HOLIDAYS CELEBRATIONS|
|MICHIGAN WEDDING DJ||DJs IN MICHIGAN||CONCERTS IN MICHIGAN||POPULAR SLOW SONGS||FUN AND WEIRD SITES|
|MICHIGAN DJ SERVICE||KARAOKE SERVICES IN MI||BIG POPULAR EVENTS IN MI||POPULAR DANCE SONGS||CHRISTMAS AND SANTA|
|MIKE'S F A Q||TRIBUTE ARTISTS IN MI||WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE||SONG MUSIC CONTESTS||SUPPORT OUR TROOPS|
|DISCOVER MUSIC IN MI||ENTERTAINERS IN MI||HALLOWEEN IN MICHIGAN||WEDDING MUSIC||PARTY SUPPLIES|
|MUSIC ORGANIZATIONS MI||HIP-HOP IN MICHIGAN||CHRISTMAS IN MICHIGAN||COOL MUSIC SITES||RESOURCES LINKS|
|MUSIC VIDEOS - MI||MI RECORDING STUDIOS||METRO DETROIT HALLS||MUSIC RESOURCES||WEDDING RESOURCES|
|MICHIGAN CONNECTION||MI RECORD LABELS||MAGICIANS COMEDY MI||MUSIC RESOURCES 2||WEDDING LINKS 2|
|MUSIC LESSONS IN MI||ENTERTAINMENT IN MI||MUSIC EQUIPMENT||EVENT PLANNING|
|HOW TO CHOOSE A DJ||MUSIC STORES IN MI||PHOTOGRAPHERS IN MI||BANDS MUSICIANS LINKS||LINK EXCHANGE|
|DJ LINKS PAGE||MUSIC SERVICES IN MI||EVENT SERVICES IN MI||HARLEM SHAKE MP3||SITE MAP|